- Contact Tennessee Fertility Institute Laboratory at 615-721-6250 to schedule an appointment.
- Bring your Photo ID with you to your appointment.
Note: If you have had a fever or exposure to high temperatures (hot tubs, saunas, etc.) within the last 60 days, please inform your referring Physician before scheduling the appointment.
Instructions for Semen Collection:
It is extremely important to be as clean as possible to avoid any costly repeat culture testing and unnecessary antibiotics. We recommend the following prior to a sample collection:
- Shower with thorough genital cleaning prior to the sample collection.
- Wear clean clothes to prevent bacterial contamination of the sample.
- Only use the sterile collection cup provided by Tennessee Fertility Institute Laboratory (other cups may have been chemically treated, which could affect sperm quality). If you plan to collect at home, please obtain a collection cup from our Laboratory beforehand. With a scheduled appointment, the sample must arrive within an hour of the time of collection with your full name and date of birth on the side of the cup.
- You MUST refrain from ejaculation for a minimum of 2 full days, but no more than 5 days prior to collection.
- DO NOT USE any soap, creams, or other lubricants to assist with the collection of the specimen unless provided to you by your Physician or the Laboratory.